RE: [Xen-devel] help with bugs

  • To: "Gerd Knorr" <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:12:29 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:10:51 +0000

> > I'd like to appeal for some help tracking down a couple of
> bugs that
> > we're struggling to reproduce:
> >
> >  BUG62  eth0 -> veth0 in network script can loose network
>
> I think the only sane way to fix this is to let the
> distribution tools configure the network.  Thats a bit harder
> to set up, but works more reliable.

Yep, having the distro scripts do it always preferable. However, we do
need something that people can use in the interim.

I guess people would still want the distro scripts to be able to cope
with enabling/disabling xen networking at run time rather than just
configuring it once at boot.

> Also the "if{up|down}
> <interface>" commands and the like will work as usual then.
> Especially in case eth0 is configured via dhcp the ip address
> copying is a bad idea.  Unfortunaly it isn't very good
> documented how all this works, especially the new veth0 thing.

I'd be inclined to rename the physical interface to pethN, and create
veth0 as eth0. I think this should solve the DHCP issue.

> IMHO it would be good if the network start script checks
> whenever any bridges are already present in the system and
> don't touch the network setup if that is the case.  That
> should catch both network setup being already done by the
> distro start scripts or by an earlier network setup script
> run (when xend is restarted).

I believe (hope?) it already copes wih xend restart.
If you're using distro or other scripts then you can disable it from
xend-config.sxp.

> The setup I'm running looks like this (classic 2.x setup, no
> veth0/vid0.0 used), in boot.local:
>
>       ip link set eth0 name hw-eth0
>       brctl addbr eth0
>       brctl addif eth0 hw-eth0
>       ip link set hw-eth0 up
>       ip link set eth0 up
>
> Then let the network scripts setup eth0 (now a bridge) as
> usual and tell xend that "eth0" is the bridge device it
> should add the vif interfaces to.

So you don't use veth0? This is dangerous if you run services in dom0
that are being used by the domUs.

Ian