Re: [Xen-devel] question on balloon driver

Jonas Appel wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to get into the internals of xen and especially the balloon
driver. During the time I dealt with that, several questions came up:

* Does (and if yes, how) the balloon driver in an guest OS have to be
activated?
No. In Linux, it's a normal driver that's loaded and initialized during system startup.

* Does the automatic release of memory from a guest OS to Xen already
work?
It depends on what you mean by automatic. I'm not sure anyone has ever posted an automated memory balancer.

* Is the limit of 100 Guest OSs (as mentioned on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen_%28virtual_machine_monitor%29 ) really
hardcoded somewhere or is it more a practical value (or does the limit
not exist)?
It's a design goal, not a limit. I've heard of folks actually getting more than 100 domains going at once (although the domains were not full-blown linux instances).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks in advance & regards,

Jonas Appel