[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-tools] [RFC] xm interface proposed changes

I think you should move towards a model where the tools dynamically
discover the available configuration commands from components which are
installed in the system such that the tools eventually contain no
command specific code at all.

For example, on installation, the balloon driver might register itself
as a configurable component which provided a single configuration action
called (for the sake of argument) resize.  When the balloon driver was
installed in a domain, the configuration tools would discover the
balloon driver as a new configurable sub-object belonging to the domain
and query the registered configuration interface to discover the resize
method, the help text, the parameter types and the valid parameter
range.

Subsequent invocations of xm-help would list the domain-balloon-resize
method with an indication of the parameters and help text.

A mechanism like this would allow 3rd parties to extend the system
without having to modify the low-level configuration tools. Having the
entire specification and implementation of the configuration interface
in a single location (in the example, the balloon driver code) also
makes it easier to avoid incompatibilities between the tools and
configurable components since there is less coupling. In fact, the level
of coupling has been shifted from the component specific details of the
configuration interface to the component-independent aspects of the
mechanism for specifying interfaces.

I think this would naturally tend towards an object-verb form of
expression since this would be consistent with the discovery process.

Harry.