RE: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 Status update

  • To: "Scott Parish" <srparish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:05:10 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:03:38 +0000

> > The slightly more fundamental problem is that we need a <4GB
> > allocation zone in Xen, but since allocating the apperture is only
> > currently an issue for dom0 it won't actually be a problem in
> > practice. (something we need to address before driver domains come
> > back)
>
> I have a patch that introduces zones into xen, and a
> hypercall to request dmaable memory, which i've made
> xen_contig_memory() use.

The hypercall should probably pass in the 'order' of the address limit
required for the allocation. There are a few stupid devices that require
memory below 2GB etc (e.g. aacraid)

> Unfortunately, there still seems to be some places where
> kmallocs are done for dma buffers. (i tried putting all linux
> memory into ZONE_NORMAL and caught a couple of these places)

Can you give examples? What size are the allocations? Do you know what
the official position is i.e. is using kmalloc with ZONE_DMA deprecated?

Thanks,
Ian