[Xen-devel] DMI and other BIOS hooks

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "King, Steven R" <steven.r.king@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:11:52 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:26:40 +0000

Hi Folks,
Can someone please offer an explanation or pointer to docs for how Xen
maps BIOS facilities into guest space?  Specifically, I have a DMI BIOS
problem that is causing Xen to call domain_crash() on Dom0 during
boot-up.

Here's a few specific questions:
1) Does Xen map the platform's 0xF0000-0xFFFFF BIOS space to guests, or
is this region virtualized?
2) If virtualized, how Xen map BIOS facilities to guests?

In my case, Dom0 finds the _DMI_ entry point, which appears to overlap
with physical RAM.  This ultimately causes the domain_crash() for Dom0.
Looks like a bad BIOS, but I'm unclear as to the degree which Xen plays
man-in-the-middle.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
-steve