Re: [Xen-devel] problem to balloon memory beyond initial allocation

Keir,

Thanks for your reply.

On 10 Jul 2005, at 14:00, Xuehai Zhang wrote:

My above experiment is not very successful. I will appreciate if you can
point out what I did wrong. Thanks in advance!

maxmem will default to initial allocation to the domain (128MB in this case). The 'mem=' parameter is parsed by the guest -- it does not inform Xen. To do that you would need to add 'maxmem=256' to your config file.

I tried to add "maxmem=256" to the domain's config file, but it is not very helpful. I still can not use "xm balloon vm1 200" to increase the memory to 200MB after "vm1" is booted up.

The lowmem/highmem balloon lines show how big the balloon is in terms of low memory (that is 1:1 mapped by the guest) and high memory (the area that needs to be kmapped by the kernel to access it). 'Hard limit' is the maximum reservation being enforced by Xen. In your case it is probed as 128MB, meaning that your 'xm maxmem' invocation had no effect. Sounds like it is broken. :-)

Thanks again.

Xuehai