[Xen-devel] Re: Running X server in domU?

Hi Sean,

I've been strugling along that path, but have had little time to work on
it recently, so I don't have any progress to report.

I did manage to get one step beyond where you are now, meaning, I got a
version of X patched to work without a VT.
(recent debian based distro's seem to include the patch by default, I've
moved to using Ubuntu Hoary, which uses xorg 6.8.2-10 and has said patch
included).

Next problem I ran into was some IO access problem. I have not had the
chance to investigate that further, but I got a hint from Ian about
patching Xen to allow this IO (not sure how safe that is though).
I was also thinking that, since X does not really have a need for the IO
access, perhaps X could be patched (was planning to try with fbdev driver,
since that should not have any need for other IO).
See this post:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/3013/match=hurenkamp

I don't know when I will have more time to investigate, it can be a very
time consuming issue to track, since it probably involves several rebuilds
of Xorg and/or Xen.

Anyways, I wish you good luck, and am very interested if you have
something of interest to report :-).
When I have some more info, I'll also report back here.

Mark.

> Hi,
>
> I posted a query about my problems running X servers from user domains
in Xen back in April:

> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-04/msg00651.html
>
> As I recall X was being actively developed at that time to remove its
unnecessary assumptions about having direct PCI access which was thought
to be the key to progress, with patches apparently available.  Does
anybody know the current status or have any further experience of this
please?