Re: [Xen-devel] auto-installing debian on xen on debian withdebian-installer preseeding

James Harper wrote:
> Does the debian installer really not support lvm?

It does for interactive installs, but the automated partitioner
(partman-auto) doesn't unless partman-auto-lvm is also installed, and
that's not the case in the sarge debian-installer release version.

It's possibly the case for the latest development branch, but getting this
auto installation stuff working is fiddly enough without building it on
moving foundations.

> I'm sure I've installed debian with root on software raid + lvm before...

by hand, it's not a problem.

> I'd use debootstrap in preference to the debian installer, but that's
> probably just my preference, the installer might make the final config a
> bit easier.

The main reasons for doing it this way are:

  because someone suggested it, and it seemed a suitably sick idea ;-)

  because it means that one can develop an auto installer preseed recipe
  for normal machines, and then use that to install a xen domain, or vice
  versa.

  it might end up being useful as a test environment for debian-installer

  it decouples the versions of software needed on dom0 and the target new
  domain.  One can imagine a machine installed with xen now being left
  on a particular reliable set of software, but installing the latest
  bleeding edge stuff into a new domain --- doing this without needing to
  upgrade deboottrap in dom0 might be useful at some point.

I'm not certain that any of these are of real interest to normal Xen users,
but adding something to the end of the xen0 auto installer, that
debootstraps Debian or even installs RedHat, NetBSD etc, on a bunch of new
subdomains, would not be too hard, and could well be quite useful.

Cheers, Phil.