RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch 2/2] Add dom0_get_sectioninfo for XEN/VTI

  • To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:37:38 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:36:57 +0000

Yes, domain builder knows everything to construct target domain. However
when talking device model, will domain builder pass important
information, especially memory layout (e820), to device model? Device
model has to acquire same layout as domain builder to map other
unmodified domain's page.

Our proposal is simply as:
- control panel constructs a memory layout (neither e820, nor acpi,
simply for non-memory hole)
- That memory layout is passed into Xen known by section info.
- That memory layout is also passed to guest firmware, with the latter
to construct ACPI table to domain later.
- Then when device model is up, it invokes new dom0 operation to get
memory layout to map foreign page

However, now I also suspected the necessity a bit. ;-b As you said, that
info is produced from outside, and consumed only outside too. There's
really no need to bother Xen as a connector. Then cleaner way may be
just to pass layout info to device model from domain builder directly.
If not done that yet, change will be made on qemu then. Do you think so?

>In any event, can't your pursuade your unmodified IA64 domains that the
>MMIO region lives after the end of RAM? Or is it determined to have it
>below 4GB or something?
>It may be convention to have it below 4GB, but does the code actually
>break if its above?

Ideally the layout is decided by platform, and domain should depend on
EFI/ACPI table to make its life. However several issues I think as
problem now:

- Experienced users may feel strange to see a layout not like real
hardware, if they don't realize running at VMM.

- Not familiar with qemu... If unmodified domain is configured with 4G
memory, and then all MMIO region is moved to >4G area, I'm not sure
whether some old 32bit DMA controller within qemu can work properly
without re-compile?

- On unmodified x86 domain with PAE enabled, can 32bit domain handle
MMIO >4G if following same policy to move MMIO beyond memory? (If device
model has no e820 map). I think the internal type for I/O may be always
32bit... :)

Thanks,
Kevin