Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] nx bit shouldn't get set when disabled

On 8 Jun 2005, at 22:56, Nakajima, Jun wrote:

These should not be necessary if pte is created correctly (w/ or w/o NX
bit depending on __supported_pte_mask) in the first place, as Keir
pointed out. That's what I meant by "We should fix the creator of the
pte (by __supported_pte_mask), not the consumer of it." And you always
cut off the NX bit in your patch.

So remove the changes to pci-dma.c and init.c. If that does not work,
move check_efer to right before pda_init(0) in x86_64_start_kernel() in
head64.c.

I think the changes in pci-dma.c *are* required: that code currently just does pte->pte >> PAGE_SHIFT, which certainly isn't right. That's code that doesn't exist in native Linux so it probably does need fixing up for PAE/NX.

But 'fixes' to simple native functions like set_pud, set_pmd, etc. ought not to be necessary. We shouldn't have to fix ubiquitous functions like that to support nx bit on xenlinux. If we do, it's a sign that something is very wrong! :-)

 -- Keir