Re: [Xen-devel] Microsoft plans 'hypervisor' for Longhorn

Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 08 Jun 2005 02:21:04 +0100, M.A. Williamson <maw48@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>>Article mentions Xen as Microsoft's competition.
>

> Could Apple's x86 switch require Intel VT too? The one year delay
> lines up with VT availability.  Requiring Intel VT would probably lock
> out all existing machines since it would be difficult to emulate on
> existing chips. Intel VT specific shuts out AMD which matches their
> announcement.

I had a look at some of their developer docs and they were IA-32
specific. I don't think Apple has a VMM plan at the moment, and I don't
think they care too much about running Windows apps as they would fear
that the presence of good Windows emulation would reduce the number of
native apps for their system. I think they will do everything they can
to keep their machines special, to keep their brand value.

I would not buy Apple stock at this point, their plan seems extremely risky.

Jacob