Re: [Xen-devel] 100 Hz idle timer on domU?

On 23 May 2005, at 20:07, Andrew Theurer wrote:

I just built bk-1.1514 (which oddly enough that version I can't find a
reference to on bk-bits anymore, was that changeset backed out?) and I
am noticing that domU's cpus are getting timer ticks at 100Hz even when
idle.  I know I have observed a "no tick" behavior before.  Was this
change intentional?

If it's an SMP domU then it's because we do not do tick holdoff for SMP guests. There are unresolved issues with how we interact with the RCU mechanisms in Linux 2.6. It is our plan to resolve these and hold off ticks for idle SMP guests just as we do for uniproc ones.

 -- Keir