[Xen-devel] Problem when doing direct_remap_area_pages() in a privileged user domain

Hi!

  I have come accross a problem when trying to do a
direct_remap_area_pages() call in a backend driver that is running in a
privileged user domain. The call ends up with an error code (-14 =
-EFAULT). This in turn is caused by the hypervisor call
HYPERVISOR_mmu_update() which returns an error code of -22 = -EINVAL after
failing in set_foreigndom due to not (!?!) being privileged. The same call
returns no error if run in domain-0.
  However, I found the solution to fix this. I needed to make a fake(*)
PCI device available to the privileged user domain by adding a line like
pci=['00,07,00'] to the configuration file, because this would actually
set the privileged flag for the domain in
xen/common/physdev.c:physdev_pci_access_modify(). I wonder whether the
setting of this flag should not be moved to some other place?

(*): fake, because I don't really need access to a PCI device in that
domain

Regards,
   Stefan