Re: [Xen-devel] Updated version of VM-Tools and libxen available

Daniel Stekloff wrote:
On Wednesday 06 April 2005 09:29, aq wrote:

On Apr 6, 2005 9:06 AM, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

A new version of VM-Tools and libxen are available for those
interested.  There's a number of new features that I thought some folks
here would be interested in.

vm-tools:
o VMX support
o vm-top (with SMP support)
o vm-balloon
o many bugfixes

libxen:
o Use the positive portion of the return code when possible
o Ensure error code is in errno
o Linux build routine
o memext ops

VM-Tools:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/aliguori/vm-tools-latest.tar.gz

libxen:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/aliguori/libxen-3.0.1.tar.gz

Anthony, I would like to give those code a try. Could you please give
us some brief HOWTO guidance for the first steps? Do I need to stop
the xend, and run other alternative daemon to use vm-tools?

I looked at the tarball, but found no such documentation.

Hi,

vm-tools can co-exist with xend, you don't need to stop xend in order to use
vm-tools. To get started with it:

1) vm-tools only works with the xeno-unstable tree.

2) untar the tarball

3) make

4) make install

** only required as root
The "vm" script is intended to work like "xm". For more information on how to
use the commands, you can:

1) Use man pages (They need some updating)
  # man vm

* definitely out of sync but the usage should be current. Try --help or -h
2) Use help options for syntax
 # vm help

3) Read the documenation in the docs directory

Some basic tasks:

1) Creating a domain - vm create CONFIG
 # vm create /etc/xen/vm1

2) Listing domains - vm list
 # vm list

3) Shutting down a domain - vm shutdown DOMID
 # vm shutdown 3

The vm-tools are still being developed. There does need to be an installation
instruction added - either as a file INSTALL or in the README. A short HOWTO
might also help. We'll be sure to add it.

Thanks,

Dan

Sincerely, Woody Marvel   LTC Open Source Projects   Beaverton, OR
tel: 503-578-3833/775-3833	email: marvel@xxxxxxxxxx