RE: [Xen-devel] Stable Release policy?

  • To: "Nicholas Lee" <emptysands@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:27:32 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:27:43 +0000

> What is the stable release policy going to be is there is a securty
> hole that a later (than current) kernel fixes?
>
> For instance 2.0.5 has 2.6.10, whereas both 2.6.11.2 and 2.6.11 have
> mentions of security related patches.

You'll find that the vast majority of Linux security patches will apply
cleanly to one of our arch-xen kernels.

Now that mainstream Linux has moved over to a point release scheme I
guess we could modify our build procedure to go looking to see whether
there are updates available.
It'll just be a pain on the very rare ocasions where this breaks the
build.

It's really an issue for whoever is doing the packaging. In the
not-so-long-term, this will hopefully be an issue for the vendor of your
favourite distribution rather than us.

Ian