Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: 32 bits as smallest atomic size.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Keir Fraser wrote:

> Actually, one of the more interesting thing to discuss imo is how to structure
> the public interface headers to support multiple architectures.

As the headers are written now, they are not portable across different C
compilers, which is a concern to me. If your C compiler doesn't act just
like gcc, you're going to have to translate the headers.

> Is it feasible to strive for much commonality, or should each arch have
> its own public headers, or what? I don't have a good feel for what the
> best solution is going to be...

It is feasible to strive for commonality, I think.

I would prefer headers that make no use of any gcc magic. It is a bit of a
problem for me each time xen rotates headers as I have to translate them
all over again.

My issues with the Plan 9 port have all revolved around portability from
x86 to x86, due to the gcc-isms in the headers.

ron