Re: [Xen-devel] deleting mtrrs in dom0

Hi Keir,

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 06:26:44PM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> It's been hacked just enough to get X working, but the /proc semantics
> haven't been given much thought. The problem is that reading /proc/mtrr
> tells you what the real physical MTRRs contain, but these registers
> weren't initialised by domain0 but by Xen, during SMP bootstrap. So
> when you attempt to delete them you will probably find error messages
> in /var/log/messages saying 'reg1 has count=0'.

I thought the MTRRs have been set by the BIOS, not Xen.

The MTRRs are not set to my satisfaction, that's why I'd like to change
them.

> There are a few possible fixes, one being to let domain0 get staright
> at the MTRRs after it has booted, but this needs great care --
> the registers have to be carefully synchronised across all physical
> CPUs to avoid memory deadlocks.

Obviously, Linux has code to do that -- under Xen it unfortunately
only sees a subset of the CPUs, though.

Regards,
--
Kurt Garloff                   <kurt@xxxxxxxxxx>             [Koeln, DE]