RE: [Xen-devel] PAE support revisited

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 08:00 +0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
I would like to have a better understanding of what work has already
been done, in particular, with respect to configuring Xen for PAE and
the header file work needed to add the PAE 3-level page tables.

Have you settled on a #define for configuring in PAE code, eg.
CONFIG_X86_PAE like linux.  Are you adding this or something else to
asm-x86/config.h

Have you determined if the PAE code is going into the files under
xen/arch/x86/x86_32, using #ifdef's for PAE, or are you planning to add
a parallel directory to x86_32 and x86_64 under xen/arch?

Same question for headers.  Are you adding the 3-level page tables to
the existing include/asm-x86/x86_32/page.h using #ifdef's or adding a
new directory parallel to x86_32 and x86_64 which would have a new
page.h, etc?

> There are a few things that need to be sorted to get PAE to work:

>  * add 3-level type checking to Xen (this should be easy as it already
> supports 2 and 4 level)

Is this adding the 3-level page tables to the header files?  Not sure
what you mean by type checking.  If not, what do you mean by this?

>  * add 3-level support to Linux arch Xen (this should be easy as the
> there are very few modifications to the mm system these days)

Thanks,
Karen