Re: [Xen-devel] Another migration question

Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
There is an argument against making any of this transparent. If you migrate stuff somewhere, you would like to be independent of the originating machine once you arrive. Network transparent IPC/RPC, filesystems, and process migration, were all hot topics in systems research some 10-15 years ago, and, apart from NFS (which is now being replaced by iSCSI) none of these fancy transparent schemes survived in the real world.

from an operational perspective, I could not agree with this more. If the task is moving from machine A to machine B, I am comfortable with specifying everything *as long as* there exists a tool to compare source against destination and point out to me what is different.

for example, if the source requires three disk images, I should be able to clear the system and be that three disk images are necessary. I also should be able to change the size of the destination images and even the file system (in theory) used.

in other words, there's no crime in not automating as long as sufficient information can be provided in a way that leads the user to a reasonably correct solution.

as for the USB issue, moving from one system to the other is exactly the same as unplugging the device. get out of the chair and move the device. No need for fancy technological solutions there. ;-)

But that is just my view. I am likely to be wrong, or at least suffering from the 'second system effect' ;-).

having acquired much scar tissue in the OS realm almost 20 years past, I don't believe you are suffering from second system effect.

---eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.