Re: [Xen-devel] Using Debian packages

Lars

Someone more informed on this than me will probably give you an answer. Until you asked, I just assumed that was the case.

You might be interested in the following:

There is now a beta2 version of the Live Xen CD which I understand is an Xen-(Debian) Linux based system now hosting several OS's. Have not tried it myself but saw several postings (very positive). My only hold up is the download which I have arranged to have done on my hehalf by another party and has not yet been done. I am looking forward to running this Live Xen system CD (also Xenoboot -- after I build my own Xen system). You might benefit by getting and running the CD before you actually do what you are planning because there seem to be a lot of similarities. What is nice about this well made CD is that it works "out of the box" so one does not have to struggle with compilation issues and other things while they learn about Xen. I believe (someone correct me if I am mistaken) that the Live CD comes with all the tools you need and this would give us all the opportunity to analyze the performance and play with the tools -- something I very much need to do in order to understand some of the problems and solutions set out on this list. Apparently (from the CD) , you can create additional virtual systems and even migrate them. I don't know how they actually make this happen from a CD but the people involved with it's making and Xen are a sharp bunch.

BTW: The SuSE list is starting to show a lot of interest in Xen and leading Linux magazines and news sources are producing articles on Xen.

If you get the CD let the list know if there are any problems.

Thanks -- Ted

Lars E. D. Jensen wrote:

Hi list

I'm about to install XenLinux on Debian. And I noticed this repository was submitted to this list a while ago:

http://people.debian.org/~doogie/xen/

Does the 2.0.5 packages (kernel-patch-xen_2.0.5-1_i386.deb) apply to Debian kernels in the Sarge tree which is 2.6.8 at the moment?

If so, is it possible to build a domU kernel using the debian packages too?

Or should I manually compile a domU from the original Xen 2.0.5 source?

Thanks.