Re: [Xen-devel] Interrupt forwarding

  • To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:33:25 -0500
  • Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:35:35 +0000

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:21:19 +0000, Keir Fraser
<Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2005, at 18:11, Ian Pratt wrote:
>
> > Shared interrupts aren't good news for performance, but they work OK.
> >
> > If a driver domain locks up we can kill and restart it -- for safety we
> > don't rely on it to ack the interrupt.
>
> Shared interrupts are slightly worse because the irq won't get unmasked
> until all receivers say their work is done. If one lock sup it starves
> the rest -- until this is detected and that domain gets blown away.

After you blow away the domain how do you acknowledge the interrupt?
Is all hardware required to have a tiny driver in the supervisor to
handling acking in this case? If you don't ack it, it is going to keep
interrupting.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx