Re: [Xen-devel] A little more clarification

Hi Ted,

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 08:32:20PM -0700, Ted Hilts wrote:
> Is what I have assumed correct, must there be an existing 2.4 or 2.6.x
> kernel based Linux installation up and running which must be modified
> (kernel modification or ported) to run Xen?

Yes.  Domain 0 is basically a linux 2.6 distribution with a kernel that
has been ported to run on top of Xen.

> It is my understanding that
> the Xen source code installation or the binary installation both require
> a properly pre installed fully functional Linux system as the basis of
> Xen operation.

Yep.

> Once it's (pre installed linux distribution) 2.4.x or
> 2.6.x kernel has been modified to work with the Xen software and tools
> we have created this Linux distribution into an Xen-based system called
> Domain 0 that becomes so when shutdown and then booted???

Yep. Once you have your bootloader set up, it boots Xen and then
the kernel of domain 0 on top of it.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION02240000000000000000

(That user manual also has a general overview of how Xen is meant to
work, which I think answers most of your other questions.)

> My next question:
> What exactly is an HTTP/S server -- apparently it is a requirement for
> browser administration access to a Xen-based system? Is Apache such a
> server and if not can it be turned into such a server???

I'm not sure where you got that requirement -- it's needed for Xenoboot,
but that's an entirely separate project, and not necessary at all for
Xen.

(And incidentally, yes. http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ssl/ssl_intro.html)

> One more question:
> Regarding the source code.  I have been reviewing Python and C
> (gcc/gcc++) and was wondering if there was a high level diagram showing
> dependencies (hierarchy based on caller and called)  and code utilized
> (python, C, binary insertions, etc.)???

I don't believe so, but someone on the list might correct me. :)

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan                           (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group