[Xen-devel] Re: mini-os for Xen2

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Rick <judicator3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 06:01:03 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:03:24 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to get a program to load and run directly on XEN. I've
been looking at mini-os but I have not been able to compile it.
Anyhow, right now I am just trying to get a program to load and print
"Hello World". So I've modified mini-os and removed everything from
the compilation except for the files head.S and the function
start_kernel() in kernel.c.

my start_kernel() function looks like this:
void start_kernel(start_info_t *si)
{

   HYPERVISOR_console_io (CONSOLEIO_write, 11, "Hello World");
   HYPERVISOR_shutdown();
}

my head.S file looks like this:
#include <os.h>

.globl _start, shared_info

_start:
        cld
        lss stack_start,%esp
        push $shared_info
        call start_kernel

stack_start:
        .long stack_start+8192, __KERNEL_DS

        /* Unpleasant -- the PTE that maps this page is actually overwritten */
        /* to map the real shared-info page! :-)                             */
        .org 0x1000
shared_info:
        .org 0x2000

In head.S I changed

=================================
stack_start:
        .long stack+8192, __KERNEL_DS
=================================
=================================
stack_start:
        .long stack_start+8192, __KERNEL_DS
because there were no symbols called "stack"

When I try to load this program with XEN using "xm create" I get the
following error:

Error: Error creating domain: (0, 'Error')

Is there something wrong with the Makefile and linking process that
comes with mini-os ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Rick