[Xen-devel] Problems shutting down ttylinux VM's

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Quinton Hoole" <quinton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:28:13 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:29:31 +0000

Hi

I’m having various (probably newbie related) problems shutting down ttylinux VM’s.

Firstly, using “xm shutdown” causes the VM to report “Ignore spurious shutdown request”, after which it (not unexpectedly) does not shut down. This happens if the VM is at the login prompt.  If I issue an “xm shutdown” after I’ve logged in to the VM, nothing at all happens in the VM (not even the “ignore spurious shutdown request” error message).  In both cases xm does not report any errors.

Secondly, shutdown itself does not appear to be in the ttylinux image that I downloaded from the xen site.  What is the preferred method of shutting down a ttylinux VM?

Thirdly, in the absence of shutdown, I’ve been using halt in the VM’s.  But this apparently does not do a clean shutdown.  In particular, after I’ve done a halt, it appears that the /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.pid file is not deleted.  This leads to the following error when I boot up the VM again:

Starting DHCP for interface eth0: **** dhcpcd: already running

****  dhcpcd: if not then delete /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.pid file

            failed

I can delete the file, and get the network working again on the following reboot, but after a halt and reboot, the problem recurs.

Any advice?