RE: Building domains as a lesser user (was Re: [Xen-devel] boot loaders for domain != 0)

  • To: "Anthony Liguori" <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 02:30:59 -0000
  • Cc: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 02:31:42 +0000

> I've been thinking about this and it seems to get worse and worse the
> more I think about it.  Pushing loading off to domU isn't much better
> because you still need to load a boot loader of some sort.  At what
> point do we then have to implement support for loading the
> boot loader
> from domU's device (in order to support exotic boot scenarios like
> booting from a CD, BOOTP, etc.).

One fairly simple option is to use Linux as a domU boot loader. Boot
with an intrd,
mount the specified filesystem, read off grub.conf, display a menu over
the xencons, kexec the appropriate kernel.

I'd have to think through whether kexec would need modifications, but I
believe it uses the same 32 bit kernel entry point that xen/linux does
(no grubby 16bit nastiness).

This sounds quite a good soloution.

Ian