Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen kernel issue

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Travis Newman wrote:

Sorry to keep posting, just wanted to update this on where I am now.

I've gotten Xen working for dom0, but I haven't gone past that because when using the Xen kernel, there's no support for fat filesystems (which contain a lot of what I need, though I don't use Windows anymore, I don't have the space to backup everything to format to ext3) and no support for sound. I'm using Alsa by the way. I've tried to recompile the kernel in different ways. First off, I tried "make ARCH=xen xconfig" and enabling what I needed, "make ARCH=xen oldconfig" after restoring my .config from my current kernel, and finally, using mkbuildtree to xen-ify my kernel source (2.6.10) and then loading the .config from xconfig. None of these worked, they would keep failing for different reasons. I can be more specific if I need to, I'm just wondering what the "right way" to get the exact same options that are in my kernel now, along with the xen options.

I'm using Ubuntu Linux (a Debian variant), and though I'm using a stock kernel, I have had experience with compiling my own kernel before.

Thanks in advance!
Travis

I installed Fedora Core 3, which from what I heard was much easier to get things going in. I saw that I had to be running the devel release to get the rpms from the yum repository, so I changed my yum.conf, and got them installed.

Yeah, don't do that :)

Only problem is, it broke yum, up2date, and system-config-packages because of a new version of python. Maybe I had to be running EVERYTHING development, I don't know.

No, you don't. All you have to do from that broken state is:

a) reinstall your old python with

rpm -ivh --force [insert location of old python rpm]

b) Change the first line in /usr/sbin/xend to read
#!/usr/bin/env python2.4

That should be enough to get you up and running. You'll probably have to make the same change to some other scripts, like /usr/sbin/xensv

--
Robin