Re: [Xen-devel] TCP migration or TCP handoff on XEN

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:14:46 -0500
Rick <judicator3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has there been any attempt to perform some form of TCP migration or
> TCP handoff on XEN ?

In a sense this is just like live migration if I understand.  If you
migrate a domain to a new machine and assume the IP address there (with
an unsolicited ARP broadcast), a TCP connection will continue
transparently -- as long as the routing is worked out (i.e.,
intra-cluster migration will work like this without a special
framework).

> That is suppose I have two instances of XenoLinux
> running some services. If the primary XenoLinux goes down then the
> secondary XenoLinux takes over and the TCP connection states are
> preserved as they are transfered from the primary XenoLinux to the
> secondary XenoLinux.

There were a number of interesting conversations about this type of
fallover recently,

cf.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/4729
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/5329