[Xen-devel] Re: Porting Openbsd to Xen?

Nicholas Lee wrote:
Has there been any thoughts on porting Openbsd to Xen?
(http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/)

Both Freebsd (unstable)
http://www.bsdclusters.com/xenofreebsd/
and Netbsd (stable)
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/faq.html#a1.3
have been ported.

The principle of Xen, having an insecure (linux) layer running as a host
OS might go against the philosophy of Openbsd. It would be nice though to
be able to use pf/altq and other Openbsd goodies in Linux land.

It would be really great, because OpenBSD has a lot of built-in security features, for example W^X.

I think one of the biggest problems preventing usage of Xen in some environments is lack of possibilities to highly secure guest systems -
for example great PaX (most important part of grsecurity).
We all know, that standard linux is totally defenceless against so popular buffer overflows exploitation, or format string bugs ...

--
voices (at) metallicrain (dot) com