[Xen-devel] how to see the data changing in a running domain?

  • To: Xen-Devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: aq <aquynh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:01:37 +0900
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:03:06 +0000

hello,

I wonder how I can see the (on-disk) data changing in a running
domainU. I tried to do it, but the data looking from outside remains
intact, no matter what I modified inside the domainU.

I did it this way: I use a file-based rootfs (got from ttylinux), and
created a domainU on that rootfs. Everything was fine. Then from
domain0, I mounted that "rootfs" file in read-only mode, with this
command: "mount -o loop -o ro rootfs /mnt". After that I could see the
data inside the rootfs.

Then I suppose that from outside (domain0), I can watch for the data
of domainU changing in realtime. To test, I just did a comand like
this from inside domainU: "ls /etc > /root/etclist", and created a
"etclist" in "/root". Then I supposed that from domain0, in a mounted
"/mnt" above, I could see the new file created as "/mnt/root/etclist",
but I was disappointed not to see anything at all.

So clearly everything made changed inside domainU cannot be seen from
outside (domain0). Anybody can please explain to me why, and if
possible, how could I watch data of domainU (in realtime) from
domain0?

Thank you a lot,
AQ