[Xen-devel] EDD failing; not finding ide disks

I'm a first time xen user, trying to get 2.0.3 up
and running for the first time.  I've made some
progress, but xen doesn't seem to want to discover
my ide disks.

I built a xen kernel, starting from an existing, known-working
config file.  I am running linux 2.6.10.  The base distribution
is gentoo.

The hardware is a low end IBM server (xSeries 200).

The relevant grub config lines are:

  title=IBM Gentoo Linux (bzImage)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /bzImage root=/dev/hda3

  title=IBM Gentoo Linux (xen0)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 noreboot com1=38400,8n1
  module /vmlinuz-xen0 root=/dev/hda3 console=ttyS0,38400

The boot fails with this message when booting xen:

  BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 0 devices found
  EDD information not available.
  VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(0,0)

(the full serial log is available at
http://www.askneil.com/neil/xen/xenboot.txt
if anyone wants to see all the info...)

When EDD is running in a normal, non-xen kernel it reports:

  BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 1 devices found

Full dmesg output from the working, normal kernel is available at:
http://www.askneil.com/neil/xen/normalboot.txt

I'm sorry for bothering the list, but I'm trying to figure
out what I could be doing wrong that would interfere with
EDD, which just makes low level bios calls.

In addtion, the "normal" kernel probes all the ide busses
and connected drives; none of this output appears in the
xen boot listing (but this might just be a difference between
console and dmesg outputs...)

Thanks in advance for any help folks might have about
this...