RE: [Xen-devel] serial port use in domain > 0

> Is there a way in xen using the existing tools to export one
> of the com
> ports to a domain > 0? e.g., if I wanted kdb running in domain 1 to be
> able to use ttyS1.

If you compile the appropriate uart into the kernel and start the kernel
with hardware privilege it should work. It's pretty nasty though, as the
kernel will also find the first uart, and try to initialise that under
Xen's feet. This may fail because the interrupt is in use. It may bail,
or it may continue to find the second uart. [We could fix some of this
ugliness if the control tools allowed individual ioport ranges to be
specified.]

However, wouldn't it be nicer to connect kdb to a virtualy tty rather
than a real serial port? It would be pretty easy to modify the console
driver so that it supported multiple console streams. I can't imagine it
would be too hard to modify kdb to drive one of the virtual consoles.

Alternatively, rather than using kdb you could use Kip Macy's patch that
implements a gdb stub tcp server in domain zero that uses dom0 ops to
stop/start/step/peek/poke other domains. Personally, I think this will
work better than kdb.

[Kip -- please can you resend the patch]

Thanks,
Ian