Re: Fw: [Xen-devel] Xen on /. again

Replied to this earlier but I think my MUA might have gobbled it :-(

> This should be possible by using the xen front & backend network drivers,
> right?

Yes but it needs a bit of extra code.

1) AFAIK, the backend currently needs to be privileged to map the frontend's
memory - this in beginning to change as the grant tables stuff is merged
2) the tools don't support this kind of config yet

> The only thing right now is that i can't see how to get the backend
> interface to be created anywhere other than dom0. I can set up a domain as
> a network interface backend ok, and i can create a domain with a vif
> pointing at that domain, but no new vif appears in the network backend dom.

Are you specifying what backend the frontend should be connected to in the
frontend's config file?  Are you specifying that the backend is a backend in
its config file?

This path through Xend hasn't been tested thoroughly, since most people aren't
using this sort of configuration yet.

> NB2: Again, i don't know if it's still the case, but the network backend
> driver can't be built without physical device access enabled, but there
> isn't a dependency for that in the kernel config system.

Currently backends are built iff physical device access is enabled, since the
assumption is that they will run in a privileged domain and virtualise a real
device.

Cheers,
Mark