RE: [Xen-devel] Xen on any linux

Thanks for all the help.  I understand it better now!

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Derrik Pates
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 5:10 PM
To: Chris Schmidt
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen on any linux

Chris Schmidt wrote:
> I have a system running an older version of United Linux by SCO and
> using Tarantella 3.34 and Samba on it.  I was wondering if I could
> install Xen on it, and still keep all my United Linux apps working,
and
> the Tarantella Server and Samba etc.  Or would I need to install a
> supported linux distro, the reinstall my United Linux on it?

So long as it has the stuff that's needed (python, python devel package,

python-twisted, iproute2, bridge utils, curl devel package, zlib devel
package, etc.), and you can install and boot from a Xen-ified domain 0
kernel, yes. I never used UL, so I don't know if it has all the things
that are required.

> Looks like a really neat program, but I am not grasping how it works.

It's not a "program" per se, in that it doesn't run on top of Linux; Xen

itself is a "hypervisor", or a supervisor for supervisors, that lets you

partition a machine into several virtual machines and run
specially-modified Linux kernels (or NetBSD, or FreeBSD, or Plan9) in
each. The programs that run in domain 0 just control the Xen
hyperkernel, telling it what to do.

--
Derrik Pates
demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx