Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel crash

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 02:31, Ian Pratt wrote:
> You're running a kernel with privileged extensions in a privileged
> domain, and I suspect you have the vga console or virtual terminal (VT)
> compiled in, and they're grabbing tty1 before xencons gets a chance.

Ah!

> The later failure mode of using an unitiliased console is very ugly and
> needs fixing.

That would be nice. I'll try my hand on it, but do not expect too much:-)

> Try putting xencons=ttyS on the kernel command line or perhaps better,
> remove vga console support.

How?

The options CONFIG_VT, CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE, CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE and
CONFIG_VGACONSOLE are not listed in menuconfig. Commenting them out in
the .config file will not work either: make readds them before building. The
only way to stop those flags from appearing is to "depend !ARCH_XEN" in the
Kconfig files where they are defined (I guess/hope there are less intrusive
ways, but so far I never had to tweak the kernel build system).

Turning the options off results in no output after the initial text from xen,
informing me about kernel used, etc. xencons=off behaves the same way. I have
no way to interact with the VM but the console, so I am not sure whether this
works or not. The -xenU kernels work and give output, but is lacking the
necessary HW support I need.

PS: Being able to catch kernel panics in screen is so cool! I really like Xen,
even though so far I have not managed to set it up completly:-)

--
Gruss,
Tobias

Tobias Hunger           The box said: 'Windows 95 or better'
tobias@xxxxxxxxxxx                     So I installed Linux.