Re: [Xen-devel] network advice needed

Andrew Theurer wrote:
Newbie Xen network advice needed. I'd like to do the following: Have domain0 masqerade all other domains (on that system) through the physical ethernet adapter in domain0. I'd like all of the other domains to have an IP addresses in 192.168.0.0/24. Domain0 will also dhcp serve IP's to the other domains. I want to do this, so I can dynamically create as many domains as I need without worrying about IP address assignment headaches.

As each domain has its own independent interface(s), you'd either (a) have to assign each individual interface its own /30, and dish out a specific DHCP IP for each one, or bridge them all together, and treat it as one big network.

doamin0: has my physical network adapter with my static IP address, and an ethernet bridge which has IP address of 192.168.0.1.

Makes sense.

domain[1-N]: has vifN.0, with IP address in subnet 192.168.0.0/24

Some iptables setup to MASQ from dev br0 and out eth0.

The main thing I see that needs chaning is simply not move domain0's eth0 IP address to the bridge, but assign it 192.168.0.1. Is that correct?

Yes, you should be able to hack the /etc/xen/scripts/network script to just not try to claim eth0's IP and not enslave it to the bridge device. It shouldn't be a huge change, mostly just commenting/removing things. Then just set up dhcpd and an iptables ruleset pretty much as you'd expect on a real network.

--
Derrik Pates
demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx