Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Is continuous replication of state possible?

George Washington Dunlap III wrote:

The main trick is that there are several different counters you could use. The one spoken of mainly in the literature is the instruction counter (which, on both Athlons and P4's is unusable). However, there are repeatable branch counters on both platforms. Logging the <eip, branch_count> tuple at every interrupt allows us to re-deliver the interrupts precisely. (See Mellor-Crummey89 for a software version of this same idea.)

Maybe sometime I'll post a whitepaper about the dirty details of doing deterministic replay on P4's and Athlons. If you're interested, I have an e-mail that I've already sent to several people (including the Xen team) with the details.

I'd like to see a copy of that email, thanks.

Jacob