[Xen-devel] RE: Building Xen/ia64

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:34:46 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:36:21 +0000

> I'm trying to build Xen/ia64 and it seems to build fine,
> except for the privify tool. When I try to build it gcc
> complains because the include paths aren't right. I managed
> to fix some of them by changing the paths and symlinks but
> eventually I ran into a file that I couldn't find:
>
> In file included from linux/cache.h:4,
>                  from asm/processor.h:81,
>                  from privify.c:12:
> linux/kernel.h:10:20: stdarg.h: No such file or directory
>
> Dan: I think I've followed the instructions right, so could
> you please verify that the include paths in the privify
> makefile are correct or that your build instructions are?

It seems to build find for me.  Perhaps there is a system
dependency that I don't understand.  Note that I do get
some errors from cpp but they are harmless warnings and
it builds.  I posted a privify binary in the xen-ia64 ftp
directory... give that a try.

Anybody else on the list try to build privify and fail?
Apologies, it was a quick hack on New Year's Eve and probably
needs additional work.  I'll look into it more.

> Also, I'm wondering, the file sp_env_v2.2.i686.tar.gz on your
> ftp looks like a nice build environment for ia64; how do I
> use it? And what is the file "bootloader" for?

As Mark described, the first is a cross-compiler environment
which I've used for building and testing on the ski simulator.
The latter is a file that's necessary for running Xen on ski.
Mark and I are trying to work out the kinks and, if anybody
wants to try running/debugging on ski on x86 (e.g. because they
don't have access to ia64 hardware), we will post a README
for how to do this.

Dan