Re: [Xen-devel] Cannot start domU from NFS

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:37:09PM -0800, Nauzad Sadry wrote:
> Hello everyone
> I have Xen-2.0.1 setup with dom0 starting from local disk.
> I need to start domU from NFS
> The NFS server works - both local and remote clients can use it.
> But not domU
>
> Here is the boot log
>
> IP-Config: Incomplete network configuration information.

Try booting with a static IP configuration.  For dhcp you will need to
build your own xenU kernel since the one we provide doesn't have dhcp
client support compiled in.  Alternatively you could use our xen0 kernel
which has dhcp client support compiled in.

> On my NFS export, the etc/fstab is as follows
> /xen_nfs/root        /                           ext3    defaults        1 1
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                    proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm              tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda5             swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom           /mnt/cdrom           udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 > 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy           auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Unless you're exporting a block device to the domain as hda5, this will
fail when swap gets enabled.  Also, your entry for the root fs is not
correct.  The 1st field should be of the form server:/path/to/root --
I usually use IP addresses, a hostname might work, certainly if it's
defined in /etc/hosts.  The filesystem type needs to be nfs, not ext3.
Also the dump frequency and fsck pass number fields should both be 0.

    christian