RE: [Xen-devel] xen 2.0.1, 2.4.27, 2.6.9, non-bridge

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > As a side node, it'd be nice if the network backend allowed
> > for a pointopoint topology, or the existing method.  Ie, I'd
> > like it switchable.
>
> Using routing rather than bridging works just fine. It's arguable that
> this would be a better default. (Other than the need for a DHCP relay).
>
> We should probably include alternatives to /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge
> and /etc/xen/scripts/network that demonstrate how to set this up.
>
> Basically, in /etc/xen/scripts/vif-router :
>
>  enable proxy_arp on vifX
>  give vifX some (/32) IP addr e.g. 10.10.10.vifX
>  ip route add <ip_dom1> dev vifX
>
> Your /etc/xen/scripts/network-routing script just needs to enable ip
> forwarding (if it isn't already).
>
> [It may be possible to configure the VIF as a point-to-point interface,
> and hence avoid the need for the 10.x address at all. If anyone has this
> working I'd be interested to hear.]
>
> If anyone has any decent example scripts I'd like to see them documented
> and go into the repo.

xen-0:/etc/xen# tail -n 3 /etc/xen/scripts/vif-route
ifconfig $vif 10.100.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.255
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/$vif/proxy_arp
route add -host $domain dev $vif
--
The first part of the file is the standard boiler plate.

10.100.2.0 is the ip address of eth0.
$domain is an entry in our dns.

Note, that one must *always* specify the bridge parameter in the config, and
you can't specifiy additional parameters to be passed to this script.  That's
why I was forced to use the $domain.

If one wanted to use a dhcp relay on dom0, then the mac addresses of the
vifX.X interfaces *must* be unique.  With the above setup, that is not a
requirement.