Re: [Xen-devel] inclusion of figlet source

Keir Fraser wrote:

> Using autoconf/automake would make sense for a highly portable
> application that must compile on many platforms with many different
> environments and compilers. For Xen I think it'll just complicate
> things. We only support one arch at the moment -- as others are
> incorporated they will extend compile.h manually for their own
> compilation environment if it isn't GCC. The main thing that autoconf
> does of course is shield you from environment differences (e.g. sysv
> vs. bsd) -- but Xen never includes system headers so this is also a
> non-issue.

If anyone is thinking of changing the build system, I can highly recommend Jam. It handles stuff like dependency scanning and multi-directory builds much better than Make does, allows more portable build specifications, and unlike other modern Make-replacements it does not need a full language runtime (like Ant or Scons do) to run.

Jacob