[Xen-devel] xen 2.0.1, 2.4.27, 2.6.9, non-bridge

We use nfsroot for all our xen-based machines.  Using pxegrub, and dhcp.

For xen 1.0 and 1.2, the built-in bridge configured by xen worked well for us,
and network had no problems.

For 2.0, the way the bridge is configured breaks the existing networking, upon
which nfsroot is running.

So, I've been attempting to configure the xenU instances by other means.

I've done similiar things with uml, by using proxy_arp and ip_forwarding.  I
turn on both options in /procy/sys(proxy_arp on all).  I then modified
/etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge, to hard-code a few settings.  The vifX.X
interface is given a netmask of /32, a host-route for the ip address of the
domain(which I have hard-coded for now).

However, with *both* 2.4.27 *and* 2.6.9, I am getting kernel panics.  I have
not run the oops on 2.4 thru ksymoops.  The built in oops decode logic in
2.6.9 shows a null pointer in the arp_send routine.

Is there any low-level problem in xen itself to cause this?  I can give more
info if needed(got a serial console on it).

As a side node, it'd be nice if the network backend allowed for a pointopoint
topology, or the existing method.  Ie, I'd like it switchable.