[Xen-devel] Interrupt Coalescence

I've found that Interrupt Coalescence (IC) has a detrimental effect on some
benchmarks with the e1000 driver. So I tried disabling it with the argument
"InterruptThrottleRate=0,0".

This had the wanted effect in native linux, ie. full speed, 116 MB/s. However,
in Xen0, disabling IC has the effect of severely reducing bandwidth down to
around 1 MB/s.

Turning of IC has the effect that an interrupt is generated from the NIC for
each received or sent MTU (1500 bytes). On a gigabit network this means that an
interrupt may be generated, according to
[http://www.pam2004.org/papers/265.pdf], every 12 us.

I looked at #interrupts generated with and without IC, and they are ~ 1100 and
~ 400 respectively when sending a 2 MB message with ttcp.

So I'm trying to explain what's happening. Is Xen slower in handling the
interrupts than native? The CPU is an Intel P4 @ 3400 MHz. Does it need more
than 12 us to do a context switch when using Xen?

Håvard