[Xen-devel] RE: xen networking

> I've been fighting last two days with networking in xen-2.0.
> Problem is with the xen-br0.
> There is two NICs in the machine, eth1 is for internet, and
> eth0 is for local network use which isn't in use yet.

Things should work fine with two NICs.

> When xen-br0 is done using eth0 as netdev, it shows correct
> HWaddr of eth0. eth1 keeps correct IP to internet and MAC
> differs from eth0 or xen-br0. Ifconfig shows like this:
> xen-br0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:02:B3:AC:50:CF
>           inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:378 (378.0 b)

I wander if its IPv6 confusing things? Can you try disabling the
interfaces ipv6 addresses (assuming you don't need them).

> Then, if i start xend, xen-br0 appears, but HWaddr is zero.
>
> xen-br0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
>           inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link

Try using 'brctl show xen-br0' to find out what's going on with the
bridge setup.

> Something is wrong.. xend is running, and even xm list doesn't work.
> barracuda:~# xm list
> (111, 'Connection refused')
> Error: Error connecting to xend, is xend running?

As I recall, xm connects to xend on 'localhost' by default. Does
ifconfig show you as having an lo interface?

Given your setup, you may find you're better off not using the
/etc/xen/scripts/network script at all, and just configure your
network/bridge setup manually using your own script.  vif-bridge should
still be able to handle adding new domains to the bridge.

Ian