[Xen-devel] Build process

I've been playing a little with Xen on Gentoo (just out of interest, rather than for any productive reason), and considered making an ebuild to allow a simple "emerge xen-utilities xen-sources" method of compiling the tools and kernel (probably equivalent to "emerge usermode-utilities usermode-sources" for UML). (It would be easier if I knew what I was doing, and I haven't actually got much working yet, but it should be theoretically possible.)

One small (but annoying) problem was that I couldn't change the compiler. Some of the Makefiles set 'CC=gcc' and 'HOSTCC=gcc', which referred to GCC 3.4 (which doesn't work -- I think it died while compiling the kernel), and I wanted to explicitly use the GCC 3.3 binary. The GCC problem was relatively easily fixed by swapping my system's default gcc; but I also fancied using ccache, which usually works by just changing CC, and couldn't find any way to do that without altering the makefiles (and I'd prefer to build from a clean copy of the source). Would it be possible/safe to use something like 'CC ?= gcc' and 'HOSTCC ?= $(CC)' (I hope that does what I expect) in all the relevant makefiles, so the compiler can be easily overriden? Or is there some other solution that I've missed?

Thanks,
--
Philip Taylor
philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx