Re: [Xen-devel] Method of creating/populating NetBSD domain on Xen 2.0

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 11:31:25PM -0600, Kent S. Gordon wrote:

> What is the suggested method of creating a NetBSD domain?
>
> What userland tools are needed?
>
> Is the only code outside of the NetBSD source tree needed Twisted?

Twisted is only needed in dom0 -- you can't use NetBSD in dom0.

> My thoughts on doing this were to
>       1)  Install NetBSD-2.0 snapshot directly on dedicated partition.
>       Copy in Xen kernel.
>
>       2)  create filesystem images on an NetBSD/i386 machine and
> dd image into a dedicated partion  (Has anyone tried this using LVM).
> My worries are in getting the disk label information correct.
>
>       3) Cross compile NetBSD userland on Xen/Linux machine.
> Use cross-compiled disklabel/mkfs to create NetBSD filesystem.

These should all work, alternatively you could use an install kernel
which includes a ramdisk with sysinst.  I have built such a kernel,
you can grab it from:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0_RC4/xen-i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-INSTALL.gz
Sysinst in this image is tweaked to give saner choices for installing
a Xen unprivileged domain.

> Have the Xen NetBSD patches been merged back into the NetBSD tree?

No, the NetBSD tree includes support for Xen 1.2, I'm reluctant to checkin
support for Xen 2.0 since there's no support for running NetBSD as dom0.

> What is the suggested NetBSD userland  (NetBSD 2.0 RC4)?

Any userland from the 2.0 branch should be fine.  I'll probably update
the NetBSD sparse tree to a new snapshot soon since NetBSD 2.0 has been
tagged now.

    christian