Re: [Xen-devel] newbie question 2

On November 25, 10:43 am Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  I am seting up my new Xen 2.0 server. In the examples Domain0 is given
> >  128MB Ram. I got greedy and tweaked it down to 64 MB; things got bad.
> >  But how little can Domain0 do with (assuming it is only used to
> >  administer Xen)?Any success stories with < 128MB?
>
> I'm surprised you're having trouble with 64MB -- xend is pretty fat, but
> its not that fat! Some of the memory dom0 get's booted with
> actually gets returned to Xen, so you'll probably find the memory
> usage reported by 'xm list' is a few MB lower than the amount you
> started it with.
>
> Are you sure you're not starting some other application in your
> rc scripts that is consuming a lot of memory? Perhaps configure a
> swapfile...
> Ian

i'm running xen 2.0 on a bi celeron 400 and i've dedicted 32 Mo to dom0
mat@zeus:/$ free
Mem:         32768      31888        880          0          0       9552
-/+ buffers/cache:      22336      10432
Swap:       506008       8828     497180
And i'm forecasting to reduce it maybe to 24 Mo
The biggest process in memory are xend + xm (because i'm doing a xm console
foobar).

I've slightly modified the dom0 kernel to get unusefull parts out but i
think the reduction isn't huge (1 or 2 Mo)

i'm running a 2.4.27 kernel
HTH
Matthieu