[Xen-devel] Re: domU kernel panic with root fs

Dan Cardamore schrieb:

Hi Bjoern,

I'm having the same problem that you posted on xen-devel a week ago
regarding the error message "Cannot open root device "sda5" or
unknown-block(8,5)".

Did you ever get that solved?

Dan
--
Dan Cardamore
dan@xxxxxx

> I managed to figure out that this is related to devfs.  Whenever I
> have devfs support compiled in it panics.  This is even if I don't
> mount devfs (devfs=mount) and don't have "Automatically mount at boot > time" in the kernel config.
>
> Anyone know why?  This is a significant nuisance if you're running a
> gentoo system.

Hi Dan,

ehhm, i remember now there was an issue with devfs in my fist installation. did i add gentoo=nodevfs as a boot option to enable gentoo to work without devfs? but i thought i added only to xen0, because xen 1.2 didn't cope with devfs in this version. i will have a look on that tomorrow or friday when at home and give it a try.

Regards,
Björn