Re: [Xen-devel] XEN and Windows

Scheer, Roque wrote:
Hello,
I've already learned from this list that running Windows on top of XEN will not be possible soon (or ever). However, I would like to propose the idea of running XEN on top of Windows. That is, instead of having XEN being an hypervisor (a la VMWare ESX Server) one could have XEN working as a virtualization layer running on top of Windows (a la VMWare Workstation). One could then run multiple instances of the efficient (paravirtualized) ports of Linux or BSD on XEN, in parallel with windows applications. Would the new XEN 2.0 driver architecture ease the sharing of the windows drivers with the XEN domains (providing some driver conversion layer is provided)?

I don't think that XEN will run nicely (read: performance, xen's number one advantage) on anything but bare metal. But the developers can answer that better than me.

In the mean while you can check out Cooperative Linux at http://colinux.org/ that does what you want.

Peace,
Nuno Silva