Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Unofficial Xen 2.0 debian packages kinda broken

Brian Wolfe wrote:
> So if anyone is pulling from terrabox.com/debian, you will need to
> override the package version to "downgrade" to the newer packages
> (that seems liek a rather strange concept, but, eh, my bad on the
> versioning. ;) )

Yes, did that already, seemed to work fine now.

> XenLinux-Builder is also cleaned up a bit more and now has a couple
> new targets. See /usr/share/doc/xenlinux-builder/README for more
> info on help, pristine, and other targets.
>
> Nuutti, if you did anythign special for your debianizing that beats
> anythign i've done so far, I'd love to take a peek at your ideas. :)
> Some fo this has been hurting my brain (patch conversion for
> example).

The idea of xenlinux-builder is kind of nice - and it is probably very
useful for some people.

I, however, do not wish to treat Xen builds in any way special from
the way I build my normal host kernels - or from the way I build
user-mode-linux kernels. That is, for me, the procedure is:

  - unpack kernel tarball to /usr/src/kernel-source-x.x.x
  - throw in patches (some debianized, some not)
  - run menuconfig (with appropriate arch if building um/xen kernels)
  - make-kpkg clean
  - make-kpkg kernel-image

And for xen specifically, I use mkbuildtree from the xen directory
first get the symlinks in for xen files to the kernel directory. A
patch would be much nicer, since I use 'quilt' for patch management on
the kernel tree. And the final line for me to build the xen kernel is:

  make-kpkg --arch=xen --subarch=xen0 --append-to-version=-shiro-1 --revision=1
kernel-image

So, no, I don't have any magic tricks to do these things - but I don't
want to use a special builder for xen, um or anything else, if I don't
build *all* my kernels with it.

-- Naked