Re: [Xen-devel] 2.4.26-xen0 unresolved symbol _mmx_memcpy in USB modules

In general, modules for different processors or subarchitectures are not cross compatible. Modules compiled for Athlon will use MMX instructions to do fast memcopy, but a kernel compiled for Pentium II does not export the _mmx_memcpy symbol for modules to use - not because it's not supported, but because it's just not as fast on Pentium II. You should be able to use modules which are a strict ancestor of the current kernel architecture without problems - i.e. a 386 module in a Pentium II kernel should not cause grief. YMMV. I highly recommend using modules compiled for the same kernel configuration, however.

Cheers,
Zach

Mark Hurenkamp wrote:

Hi,

I've been playing with the 2.4.26 and 2.4.27 xen0 kernels, and at some
point I noticed that I was unable to load the USB modules anymore because
of an unresolved _mmx_memcpy symbol...A bit of fiddling with my settings showed
that when I build all my USB
modules in the kernel, the problem goes away, or alternately, if I switch
back from Athlon to Pentium II cpu (which was my original setting).
So for now I'm using the Pentium II as my CPU selection, but I was just
wondering if this is a known problem, or if I stumbled across something
new :-) ?
Warm regards,
Mark.